NORDAHL GRIEG LEIKARRING OG SPELEMANNSLAG
This organization shall be known as Nordahl Grieg Leikarring og Spelemannslag, hereinafter referred to as NGL&S.
To learn, enjoy, perform, and maintain the traditional dances, music and songs of Norway .
NGL&S maintains an affiliation with the Northern California Spelemannslag for the purpose of establishing a non-profit public benefit corporation status through:
- Tax Exempt Status 501 C(3)
- Federal IRS # 94-3111364
- California State Registration # 1659445
- California Attorney General’s # 77735
Section 4.1. Classification. Membership in NGL&S shall be divided into the following classifications:
- Full – A dancer or musician active in attendance of classes, rehearsals and performances. Acceptance requires a three quarters (75%) vote of the voting membership present.
- Affiliated – A person who shares an interest and involvement with NGL&S, but not as an active full member. Acceptance requires a three quarters (75%) vote of the voting membership present.
- Provisional – A prospective member auditioning for NGL&S with the intention of becoming a full member.
- Leave of Absence – A full member who, for medical or personal reasons, is temporarily not functioning as a full member. The request for leave of absence must be made in writing to the artistic director.
- Child (Barne) – A dancer in the barneleikarring active in classes, rehearsals and performances. Acceptance requires a three quarters (75%) vote of the voting membership present.
All full members must pay a twenty dollar ($20.00) annual membership fee, due on or before the annual meeting. All other members must pay a five dollar ($5.00) annual membership fee, due on or before the annual meeting.
Section 4.2. Voting. All full members are entitled to vote.
Section 4.3. Suspension. A member may be suspended for failure to meet the requirements of full membership. Suspension requires a majority (51%) vote of the full voting membership.
Board of Directors
Section 5.1. Powers. The Board of Directors shall manage the business and affairs of the NGL&S organization, in accordance with the applicable laws of the State of California, and subject to the approval of the membership.
Section 5.2. Duties. It is the responsibility of the board to designate one of its members to represent NGL&S by serving on the board of the Northern California Spelmanslag.
Section 5.3. Members. The Board of Directors shall consist of nine full members, including the following:
President Artistic Director
Secretary Music Director
Treasurer Communications Director
Business Director Member(s) at large
Section 5.4. Term. Each director shall be elected by the voting membership, for a term of one year. Directors may be re-elected to successive terms.
Section 5.5. Vacancies. Vacancies on the Board of Directors shall be filled by a vote of the seated board members.
Section 5.6. Meetings. The board shall meet no less than twice a year or as necessary to conduct the business of NGL&S. Any member of the board may call a meeting.
Section 5.7. Quorum. Five directors shall constitute a quorum.
Section 5.8. Removal. Removal of a board member can be initiated by any full member, but must be approved by a two thirds (67%) vote of the voting members present at a general meeting.
Section 6.1. President. The duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Call and preside over all general and special meetings.
- Preside over board meetings.
- Be an ex officio member of all committees, except nominating.
- Follow Robert’s Rules of Order.
Section 6.2. Secretary. The duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Keep minutes of all board, general and special meetings.
- Distribute or post minutes.
- Be prepared to read the minutes of any previous meeting.
- Prepare and keep correspondence.
Section 6.3. Treasurer. The duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Receive and deposit all funds in the name of NGL&S.
- Prepare and sign checks.
- Handle all details of the NGL&S bank account.
- Make a financial report at each general meeting.
- Keep books readily available for auditing.
- Prepare the annual financial report and provide a copy to the Northern California Spelmanslag.
Section 6.4. Business Director. The duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Coordinate arrangements for performances.
- Receive all invitations.
- Provide all confirmations.
- Maintain the calendar of events.
- Account for all income and expenses associated with the operation of NGL&S.
- Develop the annual budget proposal.
- Coordinate publicity.
Section 6.5. Artistic Director. The duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide the artistic and creative direction of NGL&S.
- Schedule all dance class and rehearsal times.
Section 6.6. Communications Director. The duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Prepare and distribute a newsletter of current information to the general membership.
- Maintain a membership data base.
- Compile attendance records.
- File annual insurance forms with Northern California Spelmanslag.
Section 6.7. Music Director. The duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide the music direction for NGL&S.
- Schedule all music rehearsal times.
Section 7.1. Annual. The annual meeting will be held on or before the fourth Sunday in September and the following items must be on the agenda:
- The annual financial report.
- The annual budget.
- The election of officers.
- The election of the nominating committee for the following year.
Section 7.2. Other. Meetings will be held as deemed necessary by the board of directors. All general meetings, when not announced at a prior meeting or gathering, shall be announced by means of the newsletter and/or telephone calling tree. A quorum for any general meeting shall consist of a majority (51%) of the members eligible to vote.
Execution of Contracts
Contracts which are authorized by the Board of Directors may be signed by the Business Director, or other officer expressly empowered by the board, on behalf of NGL&S.
Section 9.1. Fiscal Year. The fiscal year shall be from October 1 to September 30 of each year.
Section 9.2. Income. All funds earned by or donated to NGL&S are for the use of the NGL&S organization, and will be deposited into the NGL&S bank account. No part of the income or assets may be used for the benefit of any individual member, except as approved by vote of the board.
Section 9.3. Expenditures.
- All expenditures will be paid by check drawn on the NGL&S bank account.
- Any expenditure which exceeds the budgeted amount must be approved in advance by a majority vote at a general meeting.
- Reimbursement of expenses incurred by members shall be made by presenting a properly filled out expense form and appropriate receipts to the treasurer.
Amendments to By-Laws
These by-laws may be amended by a two thirds (67%) vote of the members present at any general meeting. Notice of proposed amendments shall have been given at the previous general meeting or in writing at least one month prior to the meeting at which the amendments are to be voted upon.
The dissolution of NGL&S requires a three quarters (75%) vote of all eligible voting members. In the event of dissolution, the net assets shall be disposed of according to the desires of the voting membership.