Next Stevne: April 21-23, 2017
Everyone is welcome to attend. No partner is necessary; we mix and match as needed. The instructors welcome dancers and musicians of all abilities and will include dances for different levels.
We will focus on teaching Springleik from Vågå (pronounced Vogo). Jim Little will play fiddle for us from his selection of many Springleik tunes. We will include some dances that Alix Cordray taught at the 2014 Stemne in Washington.
Come to beautiful Sierra Friends Center for a relaxing weekend of dancing and socializing. (Camp Norge is closed pending repairs to the roadways.)
Jim Little has been playing fiddle at Nordic Footnotes dances for years and has played at many Northern California Spelmanslag events and participated in Allspel at festivals and dance parties. He plays the Swedish bagpipe (säckpipa) as well. Music for the parties will be provided by Jim and other musicians with backup by recorded music as needed. If you play an instrument, please bring it along.
Our dance teachers have danced and taught folk dance for most of their adult lives. They share an interest in international folk dance as well as Scandinavian dance and other traditional dance forms.
- Meg Laycock, from Cupertino, CA, is a founding member of the NGLS and currently serves as co-artistic director.
- Tom Sears, from Oakland, CA is the other co-artistic director for the NGLS. He travels to Norway to dance with the Røros Folkedanslag during Martnan in February and in early summer for the Landskappleik. (This year, Landskappleik will be held in Røros, July 5-9, 2017.)
The instructors welcome dancers and musicians of all abilities. Dances will include plenty for beginning dancers as well as experienced dancers. Experienced dancers, please plan to share favorite dances that your group likes to include in a party!
Friday night we start with many mixers for warmup and easy introduction to varied dance styles, so your contributions arewelcome. No partners are necessary; we mix and match as needed for couple and trio dancing.
Our meals this spring will be prepared by I Dream of Jeannie’s Catering from Grass Valley. You are welcome to bring potluck for sharing on Friday evening, as people arrive at various times.
Dance music at the parties will be provided by musicians attending the workshop.
The location of the April 2017 Stevne will be Sierra Friends Center.
Sierra Friends Center is located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, about a 20-minute drive from the historic mining towns of Grass Valley and Nevada City, California. 13075 Woolman Lane, Nevada City, CA. Phone: (530) 273-3183.
Note: If your GPS recommends Nishinam Gulch Road, do not take it.
- From Auburn, CA, take Highway 49N to Grass Valley, and continue for 24 miles.
- In Grass Valley, take exit 182A- marked Highway 174/Colfax.
- At the bottom of the exit, turn left onto S. Auburn St. and go 1/5th of a mile.
- Turn left onto West Main St. and continue for 2.7 miles. (After about 1/2 mile, West Main becomes Rough and Ready Highway.)
- Turn right onto Bitney Springs Rd. and drive for 1.5 miles.
- Turn right onto Newtown Road and continue for 7/10th of a mile.
- Turn left onto Jones Bar Rd. and continue for 7/10th of a mile.
- Turn right onto Woolman Lane and drive 8/10ths of a mile. Please Note: The speed limit on Woolman Lane is 10 mph.
- There is a large “Sierra Friends Center” sign at the corner of Jones Bar and Woolman Lane. Woolman Lane ends at the Sierra Friends Center campus.
Due to the volume of winter rains, the road to Camp Norge in Alta has washed out. This will not be fixed in time for our April Stevne, and may not be fixed in time for the October 2017 Stevne either. This is why we are using Sierra Friends Center instead.
- 6:00pm to 8:00 pm: Registration & Potluck Dinner
- 8:00pm to 11:00pm: Dance Party
- 8:00am to 9:00am: Registration & Breakfast
- 9:00am to 9:15am: Orientation Meeting
- 9:30am to 12:00 noon: Dance & Music Instruction (with break)
- 12:00 noon to 1pm: Lunch
- 1:00 pm to 4:30pm: Dance & Music Instruction (with break)
- 5:00pm to 6:00pm: Social Gathering
- 6:00pm to 7:00pm: Dinner
- 8:00pm to 11:00pm: Dance Party
- 8:30am to 9:30am: Breakfast
- 10:00am to 12:00 noon: Dance Review
- 12:00 noon to 1:00pm: Lunch
What to Bring:
Note: Sleeping facilities are dormitory-style.
- Cookies or a snack of your choice for the Saturday social gathering.
- Drinking cup
- Name tag from a favorite dance event
- Sleeping bag
- Comfortable clothing to dance in
- Something nice to wear for Saturday Dinner (Bunads, folkedrakt & other costumes are welcome but not required or expected.)
- Your dance shoes and/or musical instrument(s)
Voluntary help with decorating for Saturday’s dinner will be greatly appreciated.
For more information, contact:
- Meg Laycock email@example.com (408) 255-2111
- Zena Corcoran (650) 355-3752
- Anne Huberman & Greg Goodhue (408) 259-9959
Registration must be postmarked by April 7, 2017. Cancellation, with full refund, can be made up to that date. Contact Zena Corcoran (650) 355-3752 for off-site accommodation information and/or late registration space availability.
There are three registration methods:
- Register & Pay Online
- Register Online & Mail Payment
- Download Registration Form & Mail with Payment
Are you a new dancer? Apply for our new dancer scholarship.
NOTE: there is a section in the form where you can select either to pay by check or to pay online. If you choose the online payment option, you will be redirected to PayPal. If you don’t have a PayPal account you can select the button “pay with a credit or debit card” which will take you to PayPal’s guest checkout to enter your card details.